Monday, March 10, 2014

Why I didn't buy a __________ organ.

I read this recently and just had to shake my head:


At the AGO convention I attended recently one of the exhibitors was ___________. They had a very nice digital organ on display. The unit included a headphone jack so, with the head phones in, I played a few bars. Or course it sounded much more like a pipe organ than my 1970′s electronic organ. I also liked the headphone feature as it would allow me to practice with some privacy. My husband and those walking on the sidewalk would not hear me practice. The idea of having a newer model was tempting.
__________ sells many different organ models and prices range from ___________ and up. The price range is very similar to a new car. New car or new organ? It could be a tough choice for me. I brought home one of the _____________ brochures showcasing the _________ which according to their website is “is equally at home in a church, practice room, school or community hall.”

The reason I didn’t buy a _______ organ:

Bottom line is a new organ will not make me a better organist. Sure it would sound better but it would not improve my technique. It would not help me learn new music faster. It would not correct my tempo issues. Some things, like organ skill, can’t be bought and require hard work, practice, and persistence.

Organists say the strangest things...not a nod to the inspiration that comes when playing an organ that...inspires.

No comments:

Post a Comment