Sunday, February 16, 2014

Why organists hate some organs.

I've known since 4th grade that most of my life was going to be centered around the organ as a musical instrument. Young people tend to like any organ, by any builder, in any style.  It's in the late teen's and 20's when outside influences start molding feelings against some kinds of organs and total admiration for others.

I recall playing an organ years ago that replaced pipes with digital recording and speakers and thinking, "So what?" an opinion that changed a few years later when I found myself working for churches, designing organs for them.  Digital computer organs.

Then, for awhile I was designing pipe organs and pipe organ with digital stops in them while still designing digital organs.


Eventually settled into working with digital organs that easily combine with pipes.

A comfortable connection.

I'm not sure why organists as they mature develop love/hate relationships with certain organs.  People who were thrilled to play a Hammond suddenly are embarrassed to admit ever playing one.  

Of course, organists also have the strange situation of being one of the few instrumentalists who do not have to buy their instrument!  Could that be at the base of this?




No comments:

Post a Comment